Back-to-school necessities can add up fast. From the cost of new supplies, backpacks, clothes and shoes – added on top of everyday expenses – it can seem like a big strain on your budget. With the help of Straight Talk Wireless, I’ve come up with a few ways to help you find the best deals and save money as you continue back-to-school shopping.
- Host a back-to-school swap: Gather other parents for a back-to-school swap. Encourage them to bring school-related items they no longer need, including clothes, sports equipment, backpacks, books and supplies. Not only is it a great opportunity to help save a little cash, you can get rid of any unused items you have as well.
- Save on the necessary tools: According to a recent survey conducted by Straight Talk Wireless, nearly 90 percent of students and parents say mobile devices are essential for educational success during the school year. With Straight Talk’s Ultimate Unlimited Plan for just $55 per month, students can take advantage of unlimited talk, text and data to stream video at DVD quality, download educational resources and stay connected with nationwide coverage on America’s largest and most dependable networks – all for up to 30% less. Best of all, there are no contracts, no credit checks and no mystery fees.
- Shop local: It’s easy to default to buying school supplies online out of convenience, but traditional brick and mortar stores have become increasingly competitive for your dollars. In fact, many stores will match online prices if you show them the same item is available online for less.
- Set a budget: Like holiday shopping, it’s best to approach back-to-school shopping with an established budget for each child. Pre-determine what you’re going to spend on the essentials such as backpacks, supplies, clothes, shoes and technology so you’re less likely to overspend when purchasing. This could also be a powerful lesson for older children, so consider including them in some decision making and buying processes if you feel they’re ready for it.
- Plan ahead: If you know your child will have school-related expenses later in the year (i.e. athletic equipment or a class trip), begin saving for them now. The more you’re able to save ahead of time, the less stress you will feel when the time comes to pay for the expense.
As you continue back-to-school shopping, remember these easy tips to find the best value and maximize savings. With the $55 Ultimate Unlimited Plan and deals on the latest smartphones, Straight Talk Wireless makes it easy to stay connected and save up to 30% on your wireless plan – helping you save this back-to-school season and beyond.
You can also post a photo of your school supplies, tag @MyStraightTalk on Instagram or Twitter and use #WinBacktoSchoolSweeps for a chance to win up to $5,000!
For more information and ways to save, visit StraightTalk.com.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Straight Talk Wireless.
Peter Dunn a.k.a. Pete the Planner® is an award-winning financial mind and a former comedian. He’s a USA TODAY columnist, author of ten books, and is the host of the popular radio show and podcast, The Pete the Planner Show. Pete is considered one of the foremost experts on financial wellness in the world, but he’s just as likely to talk your ear off about bass fishing.